heidithebee

heidithebee

Death to Dust: What Happens to Dead Bodies?
Kenneth V. Iserson
In Darkness
Nick Lake
Etiquette & Espionage
Gail Carriger
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Brian Selznick

House of Leaves

House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski I grew up loving spine tinglers, but was always just a little disappointed that I couldn't find anything that really frightened me. Then I read "House of Leaves" and had to kick myself. I'd rather not be scared by a book, at least not in the way I was. "House of Leaves" got under my skin and just ate at me. I began making rules as I got further into it: no reading it later at night before I went to sleep and no reading it in close confined spaces. I have never felt so claustrophobic in my life. My neurosis was a result of the well written and formatted pages within the book.Yes, "House of Leaves" is a gimmick, but what a great gimmick. Danielewski plotted a great story and presentation and I love it. Admittedly as much as I enjoyed the book I don't think I would ever want to read it again, but it's still sitting on my shelf so maybe someday. As a note, try to read the book while listening to the album "Haunted" which is written and performed by Danielewski's sister, singer Poe.